Theme for the SCAGO 2023 Summit is ‘Advocacy for Sickle Cell Disease’
For the 3rd year running, the Sickle Cell Awareness Group of Ontario (SCAGO) is holding its annual sickle cell summit virtually.
Seasoned experts will address topics ranging from Innovative Therapies to Navigating Relationships with SCD.
This year’s summit will be delivered via virtual format, featuring two days of presentations with a comprehensive program for healthcare providers, health system leaders, health policymakers, government officials, researchers, patients, caregivers, advocates, and industry partners!
After participating in this two-day program, participants will acquire knowledge in multiple topic areas and have a better understanding of
• Why advocacy in sickle cell disease management matters
• Ways that community members and healthcare providers can address stigma and other barriers to high-quality care
• Racism and Micro-aggression in healthcare settings
• Beyond Hydroxyurea and other emerging therapies
• Gene Editing and other curative therapies in sickle cell disease
• Mental Health and sickle cell disease
• Digital and behavioral interventions in sickle cell disease – using technology to improve health outcomes.
• Acute chest syndrome and sickle cell disease
If you live with SCD or provide care for SCD in any manner – healthcare professional, parent, advocate, friend, this summit is for you! Speakers are drawn form around the global SCD community and include Harprit Gill, a registered Social Worker with a Master’s in Social Work from the University of Toronto, Dr. Oyedeji (Deji) Ayonrinde, an Associate Professor, in the Departments of Psychiatry and Psychology at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, Dr. Aditi Khandelwal, a hematologist and transfusion specialist at St Michael’s Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Sciences in Toronto and Dr. Allan Tinmouth, Director of the Adult Hemoglobinopathy Program at the Ottawa Hospital. Others include Moji Ajibade, Ika Washington, a public health professional, Dr. Ewurabena Simpson a hematologist/oncologist, Tanya Elese, an SCD caregiver/advocate and Devan Sommerville, an experienced government relations advisor.
The theme for the SCAGO 2023 Summit is ‘Advocacy for Sickle Cell Disease’
To register, visit: https://sicklecellanemia.ca/summit-2023-registration