Take Steps to Fortify Yourself!
That the dreaded coronavirus is slowly spreading around the world is no longer news. Conditions of immunosuppression make you vulnerable to infections of every sort, including COVID-19!
The immunosuppressed include children under 5, the elderly, those with diabetes and hypertension. Others are susceptible being ill with pre-existing conditions. So are people with SCD of every age group.
Here are some tips:
- If you feel sick, contact your medical provider immediately.
- Avoid being close to people who are visibly sick, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face.
- Greet one another from a distance (limit hugs and handshakes).
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds (don’t stop until you finish singing the “Alphabet song”) or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces with Clorox or Lysol products.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue you can discard, then immediately wash your hands.
- Masks are recommended right now only if you have symptoms or if you are caring for someone with symptoms
- Improve on nutrition – balanced diet, fresh fruits and vegetables. Take food supplements as necessary
- Hydration: water must be your friend now more than ever. Improve your water intake!